Thursday, April 5, 2007

Robinsons!



So Cheryl and I got to catch Meet the Robinsons the other night! I say it was pretty good! Story wise, we felt the pacing in the first half (or so) of the movie was a bit frantic and akward, but I enjoyed the end and how they tied all of the elements together, it made for a really satisfying conclusion. I'm no expert by any means, but I feel they could've spent more time fleshing out exposition in the beginning and in a few other sections, and less on random, unrelated-to-the-story gag scenes. That would've helped the pacing and made the whole cake sit together better. Cake.
Art Direction Design was great as I expected! With the exception of a few secondary characters,I thought Joe Moshier's designs translated extremely well to 3D. Standouts were Goob, Bowler Hat Guy, Wilbur's mom Franny, and the Gym teacher.

Animation wise, I thought there were some great over-the-top performances from Bowler Hat Guy, and Goob was super appealing. Bowler Hat Guy man, soo good. I loved every time he was on screen. Although I felt the voice-acting overall, especially in the lead characters, left a little to be desired.
All in all, pretty enjoyable film. Congrats to all who worked on it! I'd recommend it and would watch it again, maybe in 3D this time?!
Oh yeah I got a real kick out of the new Disney Animation logo. There's that photoreal Walt Disney bit of the castle, but they have a brand spankin new Feature Animation logo bit that was awesome!